Auburn Memorial Library

1810 Courthouse Ave.

Auburn, NE 68305


Library Hours

About Us

The Auburn Public Library began in a classroom of the Auburn Public High School. The first recorded meeting for the purpose of organization was held on August 27, 1914, with 9 board members. The first Librarian, Mrs. Lillian Scoffield, was hired for $10 a month. Her job description was: to perform all duties provided in the by-laws, furnish all necessary help, repair all books, and keep the Library open on Tuesdays, Thursdays, and Saturdays.

During 1918, 650 books were collected for the cantonment libraries and shipped to Camp Bowie, Texas for the returned, wounded soldiers of World War I.

In 1921, property was donated to build a Public Library in honor of Mr. and Mrs. Frederick E. Allen, by their children. Later, a committee met with the Allen brothers, when the Allens requested the city either build a new library on the site by 1925, or return the property to the original owners. 

In 1926, the 2-story Brick building became the Auburn Public Library. The children's department, named "The Reading Cove", was in the lower level and the adult section on the upper floor. During the years, improvements were made to the interior, but little changed to the exterior. In 1985, an endowment from Edith Dort, promted the Board of Trustees to explore the possibilities of updating Library services with a new building, or an addition to the present facility.

In March 1993, it was determined the City of Auburn supported the efforts for a new library. Geller Design Inc was the architectural firm hired to plan the new building. Preliminary plans were approved by the City Council on November 11, 1994. 

The ground breaking ceremony took place on May 30, 1995. Construction began on July 28, 1995. 

On March 7, 1996 in the bitter cold, the library was moved from it's previous location to it's current site. Community volunteers helped move the library materials with the help of a local school bus and children pulling their wagons.